This week is Gift Health, focused on holiday gift ideas for the hard-to-shop-for.
There is a kid’s joke which goes something like this…
Q: What do you give someone who has everything?
A: A box to keep it in.
Beyond the box, no one knows everything about extending healthspan and longevity, so consider these meaningful gift ideas for them.
Free Gift Idea
- Sign them up for a subscription to Keep.Health.
- Sign them up for Harvard Medical School’s newsletter called Healthbeat which includes a bonus report of 101 Health Tips. (Healthbeat does have the unfortunate side-effect of bombarding the recipient with offers for paid health books and special reports.)
Small $$ Gift Idea: Books
Here are seven books which are fun and fascinating to read. For more description of each, see our previous Recommended Reading articles. These books also make thoughtful New Year’s Eve gifts for your party guests who will soon start working on their New Year’s resolutions.
- I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
by Ed Yang
- Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don’t Have To by David Sinclair and Matthew LaPlante
- How Not to Die by Michael Gregor M.D. and Gene Stone
- The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner
- Spring Chicken, Stay Young Forever (or Die Trying) by Bill Gifford
- Play On, The New Science of Elite Performance at Any Age by Jeff Bercovici
- What Makes Olga Run: The Mystery of the 90-Something Year Old Track Star, and What She Can Teach Us About Living Longer, Happier Lives by Bruce Grierson
Medium $$$ Gift Idea: Quantified-Self Wearable Devices
Wearable devices monitor health, encourage healthy habits and provide alerts when necessary. You most certainly can find something they won’t have from this list of the top 8 wearable devices.
These devices track sleep, fitness, stress, blood pressure, body fat, heart health, body temperature and brain activity. It is pretty cool to find out how to optimize your body.
Large $$$$ Gift idea: Private Personal Health Baseline and Genetic Tests
Looking to give something radically different to someone you love? Consider covering the cost for full body analysis exams including extensive genetic testing. The information is kept private and the recipient has the option to share with their medical providers. These gifts do require the recipient to travel, so add that gift in as well.
- Human Longevity’s Health Nucleus (and trip to San Diego for the 1/2 day exam)
- InsideTracker (and trip to Boston for the 1/2 day exam)
This concludes the Gift Health article. As your reward for getting health-focused gifts for your friends and family, go ahead and order yourself a gift too.