- NIAGEN®, also known as nicotinamide riboside (NR), is a very unique member of the vitamin B3 family. The body converts NR into Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD+) which is an essential molecule found in every living cell.
- NAD+ enables cells to convert the food that we eat into the energy that we need. NAD+ is also the communication molecule between the cell nucleus and the mitochondria which are the energy producing factories in the cell. If NAD+ levels are low, then communication may be impaired and mitochondria dysfunction may result. When this occurs, everything begins to breakdown.
- Cell regeneration
- Several newly published studies provide evidence that NR is a powerful geroprotector—an anti-aging compound that helps organisms maintain a state of health and avoid disease. In animal trials, older animals have been returned to a 15-20% more youthful state.
- NAD+ levels are highest at birth and decrease dramatically with age. Also, certain lifestyle choices such as over-eating or a sedentary routine deplete NAD+ levels.
- Boosting NAD+ levels promotes cellular metabolism, mitochondrial function, and energy production
- Boosting NAD+ levels can reduce high blood pressure
- Increases NAD+ levels in cells and tissues*
- Supports healthy skin*
- Promotes mitochondrial function which is an important component of aging. Without sufficient NAD, mitochondria can’t make the ATP energy our cells need. Nor can they communicate properly.
- Promotes beneficial effects on blood lipids by maintaining healthy cholesterol levels already within normal range*
- 6 Nobel Prize winning bioscientists take it
- See Elysium Health’s notes from NAD 2017 conference notes
- See pros/cons from Self-Hacked.
- The dose in the Nature Communications study was 1000mg daily (two 500mg doses).
- ChromaDex recommends 250mg daily (2 capsules) and sells a one month supply for $40. Why does ChromaDex recommend a fraction of the studied dose?
- Elysium Health’s NAD supplement called Basis is also sold as 250mg daily dose
- iHerb sells 100mg capsules
- 10 Clinical Trials
- NAD levels boosted 33% with 2 gram dose (1 gram, twice daily)
- 4 studies corroborate findings that NR effectively raises levels of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) in humans without adverse effects.
- ChromaDex — Chromadex is partnered with top education institutions and companies in the US.
- Elysium Health
- Patrick Cox, Mauldin Economics
- Medical News Today: “This supplement may promote healthy arterial aging,” by Catharine Paddock PhD
- Sci-News: “Nicotinamide Riboside Improves Blood Pressure and Arterial Health, Mimics Caloric Restriction: Study”
- Science Daily: “Dietary supplement shows promise for reversing cardiovascular aging”
- Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News: “Vitamin Precursor Could Help Reverse Cardiovascular Aging Effects”
- Nature Communications, “Chronic nicotinamide riboside supplementation is well-tolerated and elevates NAD+ in healthy middle-aged and older adults.”
- Elysium vs Chromadex in Neo.Life